Sonntag, 17. Juli 2011

California Rolls Uramaki Recipe Tutorial

I love sushi and I love to cook. But I hate cooking sushi! Blabla, I know it's not cooking but you know what I mean. It's not the time or that you have to stand all the time. I'm just not very good at it, period. The rice, the rolling the taste. It's not working very well. Lately I've improved, but still...
So, I was a little intimidated when the Chibichef asked for California Rolls (funnily they're under Japan, but were invented in the USA)

What can I say? I think I nailed it! It went really well and I think I'll try this again.



California Roll for 4 (550kcal/portion):

400g hot cooked sushi rice (before cooking, wash the rice like 6,7 times ; cook it with 2tbsp sake and a piece of kombu)
   For sushi vinegar:
3tbsp rice vinegar
3tbsp sugar
2tsp salt
   Filling:
200g crab meat (I'm allergic, so I used surimi - it's 12 picks here)
2tbsp mayonnaise
salt
1/2 cucumber
1 avocado
Nori sheets (I'm not quite sure how many, so get a pack)
white sesame
wasabi paste
makisu
foil

1. Mix the ingredients for sushi vinegar. Pour them over the hot sushi rice and stir, but be careful not to squeeze the grains. Cool down.
2. Wash the cucumber. Cut into 1/8 pieces. Remove the soft part.
3. Peel the avocado. Make a lengthwise cut around the avocado and then move it slightly, so you can remove the stone easily. Cut the avocado into 1cm sticks.
4. In a bowl, take half of the crab meat (or surimi) and tear. Add mayonnaise and salt to your taste and mix well. You can keep the other half as it is.
5. Cut the nori into half.



6. Let's roll! The cooking guide has a really weird technique here, that I won't show you. They roll up the filling first, then put rice in a foil and wrap it around the nori ... it's weird. I'll show you my way! :)
7. On your makisu, spread a large piece of foil. But the sheet of nori on top.



8. With wet hands spread a thin layer of rice and for California maki, don't forget the corners. :) Sprinkle sesame seed.



9. Now it's getting a little tricky. Flip your nori sheet, but the foil and makisu have to lay still.



10. Now spread a little wasabi in the middle. Thanks to the mayonnaise it's not neccessary here but I like it. Lay on the filling you like.



11. Now, bring the ends of the makisu together. With your hand, press the fillings inside and make a roll. Make it really firm, always pressing from all sides. The makisu will help you with this.



12. Repeat as long, as you have rice and filling. You can also mix it up. :)



13. With a wet knife, cut one roll into half. Than cut every half into 3 pieces.



14. Done! いただきます!

You can also use small caviar (masago) instead of sesame and shrimps or tuna instead of crab. Decorate with mayonnaise or a wasabi leaf.

This recipe might not be the most usefull, since you can learn how to make sushi ... EVERYWHERE. I hope, you still like it. :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen